Sunday, June 14, 2009

Statement Necklace

Stitch Diva recently posted a free crochet pattern by Jennifer Hansen called the Statement Necklace. I'd been looking for something to go with the dress I'm wearing to my daughter's high school graduation and this was perfect.

In the pattern Jennifer suggested trying seashells instead of the flat marbles. So I picked up some Patons Silk Bamboo yarn in Sapphire and found a bag of shells at Big Lots that had some pretties in it.

Here's how the necklace came out:


I found the pattern really easy to do. It took me about half a day to assemble all told. The shells were a little tricky to work around, but still fun.

Because of the shell's irregular shapes, I had to use some glue on the backs of each piece. I chose Aleene's Jewel-It, which I had also used to put the googly-eyes on my friends' kids' fish hats a while back.
So far it's holding well. I'll put a little more on tomorrow to make sure it holds together while traveling.

Cross your fingers and let's hope it makes the trip... if not I have another crochet necklace I made from a Berroco pattern last year I think I can use as a backup.

No comments: